
Lionel Messi’s Mexican controversy, according to the head coach
- Echofootball 2025/01/22 02:41
- 0 0
Inter Miami got 2025 underway with a 2-2 draw against Mexican giants Club América last weekend, a successful outing for the team in Javier Mascherano’s first game in charge.
The Herons' first goal of the new year was scored by Lionel Messi, nodding home from close range after Luis Suárez had found him in the box. Messi marked the goal with a ‘3-0′ hand gesture towards the many Mexican fans in attendance, signifying Argentina’s three World Cup triumphs to Mexico’s zero.
Messi led Argentina to the trophy in 2022, beating Mexico en route in a tense group stage game. The 37-year-old’s mocking gestures were criticised in some quarters but Mascherano insisted on Tuesday that he saw no problem with his captain’s actions.
“No, the truth is that I have not spoken to Leo, so I have not given it more importance,” Mascherano told reporters.
“I think that we have more important issues to deal with, yes and logically I have had to play against Mexican teams and against the Mexican national team, we know that they are usually hostile towards us Argentines and well I think that also after the World Cup that wound is still open.”
When is Lionel Messi’s next game?
The América draw was a solid start for the new head coach but he will know that the stakes are high in 2025, likely the final season with Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez playing together. Having lifted the Supporters Shield last season the Round One postseason exit was a major frustration for the ambitious young club and they will be eager to get up to speed quickly this year.
Next up for Inter Miami is a trip to Lima, Peru to take on Club Universitario de Deportes on Wednesday, January 29. The Herons' 2025 preseason tour is a less demanding affair that last year’s schedule and Mascherano is benefitting from having more time with his new players on the training ground.
He said: “We resume training today because we arrived on Sunday very, very late and we prefer to rest both Sunday and Monday so from what I understand, the doctors told me they are all available to be able to train, even Facundo Farías. He’s going to be part of the training; he had a problem last week, but everything is fine.”
This article mentions
Related News
LAFC edges Inter Miami, Lionel Messi in Concacaf Champions Cup
1 day ago
Los Angeles FC vs Inter Miami Starting list
1 day ago
Preview: Los Angeles FC vs Inter Miami - prediction, team news, lineups
2 days ago
Cheuko, Lionel Messi's bodyguard, has been banned from appearing pitch side during league games
3 days ago
Even though he was in poor form, Messi helped Miami score two minutes after coming on as a substitute
5 days ago
Lionel Messi set to return to Inter Miami after missing out on Argentina call-up
6 days ago
Argentina 4-1 Brazil! Argentina has already qualified for the World Cup!
9 days ago
Argentina seal World Cup 26 spot
9 days ago
Raul Jimenez's brace as Mexico lift first CONCACAF Nations League trophy
11 days ago
Preview: Argentina vs Brazil,World Cup Qualifying - South America
11 days ago
0comments
No comments available